root mail issue

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Sun Apr 18 09:11:41 IST 2004

Drew Marshall wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the poor subject i cant think of a better one.
>> My problem is small - i have a Freebsd, postfix, mailscanner, mailwatch
>> server - all local mail generated form things like cron jobs and system
>> type messages addressed to "root" are always sent to "root at myfqdn" which
>> means the root messages all end up skewing my mail stats.
>>
>> I know its minor, but on previous mailscanner systems all mail to root
>> was sent as localhopst mail not generating entries in the maillog.
>>
>> I tried to create an alias
>> root:   root at localhost
>> but still all mail is sent to root at myfqdn
>

> In main.cf change myorigin to be $myhostname from $mydomain. All mail
> submitted locally (I.e not through SMTP will  now come from host.fq.dn
>
> Job done!
>

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Pete
>

> --
> In line with our policy, this message has
> been scanned for viruses and dangerous
> content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.
> www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy

But these still appear in the maillog and still count as email in the
email stats, they have added 600 to the total count for today - do to a
failing cvs cron job - i would prefer not to add these to the message
count for the day...just deliver to root and not appear on the mailwatch
stat and pflogsumm stats.....