It looks like my mailscanner is only accepting mail for...

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Sat Apr 17 00:53:25 IST 2004

JD Doelitzsch wrote:
> I looks like my mailscanner is only accepting mail locally (for the linux computer).  I want it to accept any mail then scan and forward to my real mail server (windows) but when I telnet and give it an address that is not a user on a linux machine it will not accept it. For instatnce I have root and JD as a user on my linux box, in which case it accepts mail fine and dumps it in var/spool. but when I rcpt to: anything other than a user found on the linux box it gives me an invalid user. Which configuration am I missing in order to get it to accept mail for my whole domain scan then send it over to my windows mailserver?
>
> [root at localhost mail]# telnet 192.168.1.126 25
> Trying 192.168.1.126...
> Connected to 192.168.1.126.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.5/8.12.5; Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:03:07 -0700
> helo bentecmed.com
> 250 localhost.localdomain Hello [192.168.1.126], pleased to meet you
> mail from: me at you.com
> 250 2.1.0 me at you.com... Sender ok
> rcpt to:it at bentecmed.com
> 550 5.1.1 it at bentecmed.com... User unknown

Did you make the access and mailertable databases? On modern Linux dists
you just run "make" when in /etc/mail and it will update all changed
databases. Check the file timestamps afterwards so you're sure they have
changed.

Another thing, is your mailserver called localhost with the domain
localdomain? What does it say in /etc/hosts? Sendmail doesn't like fake
names. It should be something like mail.bentecmed.com.

You should also upgrade Sendmail to at least 8.12.10 unless your version
has had the security patches backported. Do that after this is resolved.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.39, ClamAV 0.70RC + GMP 4.1.2, MailStats 0.25