i can telnet to my sendmail

JD jd at BENTECMED.COM
Fri Apr 16 21:47:55 IST 2004

when I try telneting to 192.168.1.126 25 it gives me a connection failed
you were right, does this mean it really isnt listening on the correct port?
-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Matt Kettler
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 1:24 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: i can telnet to my sendmail

At 04:22 PM 4/16/2004, JD wrote:
>yeah it answers, it just says login:

JD are you sure you followed the directions exactly? It sounds like you
didn't put the 25 after the ip address.

login: is the prompt from a telnet server, which is on port 23. Unless you
specify a port number telnet will go there.

If you connect to a sendmail server you should see something like this:

telnet xanadu.evi-inc.com 25

220 xanadu.evi-inc.com ESMTP Sendmail *.**.*/*.**.*; Fri, 16 Apr 2004
15:14:33 -0400

(note that if you try this to my mailserver xanadu will answer you but
you'll get a lot more things converted to **'s than the above. However, the
line will always start with 220)