i can telnet to my sendmail

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Apr 16 20:11:04 IST 2004

At 03:02 PM 4/16/2004, JD wrote:
>im not sure where to set up a login username or password on the server. I
>telnet'd from my windows box to the linux sendmail box and it responds
>"Login:" I tried using my root password but it wont work.

If you are using telnet you need to log in as a non-root user and then su
to root. By default, most telnetd's will prevent root from logging in.

If you don't have a non-root user, you'll have to log in at the local
console as root and create a new user (useradd and passwd commands)

However, as many have said, you're better off ditching telnet and using
SSH. (tera term pro is a nice free windows term program for which there is
a free ssh plugin).