i can telnet to my sendmail

Jason Balicki kodak at FRONTIERHOMEMORTGAGE.COM
Fri Apr 16 20:05:01 IST 2004

>im not sure where to set up a login username or password on
>the server. I
>telnet'd from my windows box to the linux sendmail box and it responds
>"Login:" I tried using my root password but it wont work.

Dude, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

We love the noobs here, we really do, but you've got to give a
little to get a little.  The information you've provided doesn't
help us help you.

Give us some background information, what is it that you're
trying to accomplish?  Keep in mind that this list is specificaly
for MailScanner issues (http://www.mailscanner.info) and is not
a general MTA help list.  We're more than happy to go out of
our way to answer your questions, but the question you asked
is sort of like asking a doctor: "Hey Doc, something hurts,
can you guess what?"

Having said that:

1) most Linux installations don't have a telnet server on by
default these days, and one of the first things you should
do is switch to ssh.

2) you usually can't connect directly to a box via telnet
as root.  You usually have to connect as a normal user,
then su to root.

3) if you haven't set up a normal user yet, do it at the
console.

4) if you don't have console access, call whoever does.

5) if you can't do that, you're either screwed or screwing
with us. :)

HTH,

--J(K)