Using Microsoft Outlook to connect to SendMail :))

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Thu Apr 15 15:54:38 IST 2004

Idan:

Huh?

I must say, I'm confused by your post... I think that you've received
some very complete answers.
I assume that your question is EXTREMELY basic, so I'm going to reply
in-kind.

Outlook is a mail client. You are currently using it w/ MS-Exchange.

Outlook can (alternatively) be configured to send (outgoing) mail to a
sendmail server via the SMTP protocol.
Outlook can also be configured to retrieve (incoming) mail from a mail
server via the POP3 or IMAP protocols.
Sendmail does not provide the POP3 or IMAP protocols. You have to load
another package that provides them (like, for example courier-imap, or
imap-2001 provide both POP3 and IMAP)
Just to avoid confusion, sendmail will accept (incoming) mail from other
mail servers and deliver it to a local mailbox on the server. What
Outlook needs POP3 or IMAP for is to retrieve that mail from the mailbox
on the server.

This is a mailscanner mailing list, and the only connection that
mailscanner has w/ your question is that it can be configured to work w/
sendmail.
If you need more info, I'd suggest joining a local linux user-group,
joining a mail-list for a local user-group, hiring a consultant, or
something like that.

-Bill