Performance Drop?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 13 13:28:03 IST 2004

At 12:06 13/04/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've noticed a severe drop in performance as of late. One thing to note
>is that when looking through the log there will generally be up to 40
>messages being batched together. In the past I remember there just being
>a couple. There are two things that I can think of that may be causing
>the problem but wanted to confirm.
>
>1. Does it effect performance by having too many entries in the
>blacklist? Currently I have 950 and it's growing as I've allowed users
>to blacklist through an automated mailer script.

This will affect it, yes. Best way is to suck in the blacklist addresses
into a hash table somehow, maybe by using the per-domain and per-user white
and black-list support provided in CustomConfig.pm.

>2. Checking several RBLs via MailScanner, and also checking RBLs via
>SpamAssassin. Do I need to only allow one to do them?

Don't check very many RBLs via MailScanner, ideally only 1 or 2.
SpamAssassin is better at it when there are more than about 2.
--
Julian Field