(newbie) install/configuration question

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Mon Apr 12 22:26:44 IST 2004

>Do you think ClamAV is better than f-prot?

On many occasions lately it has updated faster than the commercial
alternatives.

Another thing I like is that it's written for Unix so when you compile
it installs and runs the way you expect a good Unix app to do. My
experience with a few of the commercial scanners is that they are some
kind of Windows ports that don't follow the Unix guidelines. They often
come in a tar.gz that you unpack and then run some strange install
script where they need to modify scary things in your system even though
you're not going to use that part (often real-time scanning) of the
scanner. I have yet to see a commercial Unix application that installs
as well as an open source one. Clam also has packages for most OS:es if
you don't want to compile yourself.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.29.7,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.39, ClamAV 0.70RC + GMP 4.1.2, MailStats 0.25