Mail server monitoring tools - Recommendations?

Ken Anderson (Pacific Internet) ka at PACIFIC.NET
Fri Apr 9 17:24:12 IST 2004

Kevin Spicer wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 04:37, Justin wrote:
>
>>I would like to install a mail server monitoring tool such as MailWatch or
>>Vispan. While I'm sure everyone's favorite will differ from person to
>>person, I'd like to hear your recommendations. Are there certain features
>>present in one tool that's not in others? Any insight as to the relative
>>advantages and disadvantages of the different tools available?
>>
>>I'm only aware of MailWatch and Vispan at the moment (please feel free to
>>enlighten me if there are others). Of the two I'm leaning towards MailWatch,
>>since it seems Vispan only works with Sendmail and not the Exim MTA I'm
>>using. The only issue I can see with MailWatch is that I'll have to
>>downgrade my DBD-MySQL Perl module from 2.9003 to version 2.1028.
>>
>>All suggestions and recommendations would be much appreciated.
>

> I feel obliged to mention MailScanner-MRTG.
> http://mailscannermrtg.sourceforge.net  [DISCLAIMER: I'm the
> maintainer]  Since you don't say what you are looking for in a
> monitoring tool its difficult to gauge which would do what you want.  I
> personally use both MailScanner-MRTG and vispan, I've never tried
> MailWatch - although I have heard many good things about it I don't
> realy need its features.  The projects are all different, so it's a good
> idea to mix and match.

Cricket does a fine job too, and lets you make prettier graphs with
throwaway `grep maillog` scripts. The configuration is a bit weird, but
no worse than mrtg. If your logs are HUGE, fast & simple scripts are a
good thing. If you want lots of stats, MailWatch is the way to go.
Ken A