Sendmail still running behind mailscanner?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Wed Apr 7 09:25:43 IST 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 14:34:06 +0800, you wrote:

> [...]

No MS header so MS hasn't seen this message. I presume
mail44-haw.bigfish.com is your system.

>But I have checked for mails that comes from this sender and all I get are
>mails that are tagged as spam and already filtered out. So, the user
>shouldn't be receiving any of these mails. But he is still getting those
>mails. Even as I type this mail. Therefore I can conclude that the mails
>actually didn't go through mailscanner.

Probably you have a seperate sendmail running. Did you make sure you
disabled the default sendmail configuration (ckconfig sendmail off)?

>I tried looking at the maillogs but I don't know what exactly to look for.

Under normal circumstances you should see three lines with the same
queueID as in:
|Apr  7 00:16:37 netlx014 sendmail-in[20561]: i36MGbQ20561: from=<sender at utwente.nl>, (...)
|Apr  7 00:16:37 netlx014 sendmail-in[20561]: i36MGbQ20561: to=<recipient at somewhere.else>, (...) stat=queued
|Apr  7 00:16:39 netlx014 sendmail[20580]: i36MGbQ20561: to=<recipient at somewhere.else>, (...) stat=Sent

Whatch for the "stat=" parts. And there should be only "from=" parts
with sendmail-in and not sendmail. Perhaps besides "from=" with
machine-local addresses like <> and root.

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)