Zip files checking

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Tue Apr 6 21:09:59 IST 2004

At 03:59 PM 4/6/2004, Mike Kercher wrote:
>I think a .exe inside of a .zip should be allowed.  Otherwise, there would
>be no method of transferring a legitimate executable.
>
>Mike

Mike, I think you're missing the point.. The point is not that .zips pass
through unblocked, it's that Roger is observing that the behavior of
MailScanner differs if the .zip is attached to a new email, or if it is
part of a forwarded message.

As for allowed or not, that's a matter of network policy. In some network
environments it's not appropriate to allow the introduction of any
executables to the network except via controlled channels (ie: a high
security network for a financial institution). In other networks, you want
users to have the option (ie: a home-user network). This is why MailScanner
can be configured either way.

Really it's Roger's choice to set MailScanner either way, not yours or
mine. However, MailScanner's behavior should be consistent for all messages
with zipfiles attached, and that should be consistent with the settings
Roger applied.