MS % rate of catch

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Tue Apr 6 15:18:35 IST 2004

Good information.  On the rulesdujour script, I see that it only updates
"BIGEVIL TRIPWIRE ANTIDRUG EVILNUMBERS" <-- those.  What about the rest?

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Martin Hepworth
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 3:05 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: MS % rate of catch

Billy
check out the rules emporiam (www.rulesemporiam.com) and the Custom
Rules sets (http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/CustomRulesets). This
will increase your hit rate quite a bit.

You'll need to add these rules into /etc/mail/spamassassin and then
restart MailScanner. Make sure the rule files are world readable.

It's also very worthwhile training the bayes DB - there's plenty on the
spamassassin web site about this.

Also worth watching the SA users email list for new/updates to the rules
and possibly using the rulesdujour script to automatically pull down
updates. The spammers are constantly finding new ways of getting around
SA so it's almost a requirement to keep up to date on these.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
> Does this seem a little off or about right?
>
> Out of 110 spam messages, this is what MS did:
>
> 38 passed through as NOT spam
> 72 passed through as spam
>
> That is about a 65% rate.
>
> Here are my spamassassin score levels:
> Required SpamAssassin Score = 6
> High SpamAssassin Score = 7.2
>
> Or is that about right?  I did have the required score on 5, but I put
> it on 6.
>
> Thank you
> Billy Pumphrey

the system manager.