eTrust Wrapper + Postfix + Mailscanner

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Apr 6 00:32:26 IST 2004

Howard Yuan wrote:

>yep, more posts on this. ^__^
>
>Okay, here's what I've got so far. Using the original eTrust Wrapper
>and what have you, I couldn't get eTrust working. I got MailScanner
>working with PostFix by setting the "Run as User" and "Run as Group" in
>the MailScanner.conf to "Postfix." However, eTrust wasn't scanning. I
>messed around with little bit, posted questions, did some research, what
>have you. Found a FAQ on Mailscanner.info but it didn't help me. So, I
>was messing around again and I changed the "Run as User" and "Run as
>Group" to "Root" instead of "Postfix." Now, eTrust is scanning the email
>messages for viruses and are actually finding them now. As we all know
>already, eTrust requires you to call the command-line scanner as "root"
>in order to be able to scan. So, I got it to scan. Now one problem.
>Postfix is no longer sending mail outbound. I get the following error
>message in /var/log/mail.log file:
>
>postfix/master[1774]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/qmgr pid 2350
>exit status 1
>postfix/master[1774]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/qmgr: bad command
>startup -- throttling
>postfix/qmgr[2355]: fatal: qmgr_move: update active/8/839D22E3FA time
>stamps: Operation not permitted
>
>So...I'm guessing it has something to do with the "postfix" user/group
>object or what have you. I'm not sure if its a right issu, as the
>/usr/lib/postfix is owned by the root user object and when I checked,
>the user/group does have the EXEC right.
>
>So, I guess my main questions is, "Exactly what is 'Run as User' and
>'Run as Group' do? What are they for?"
>
>Also, anybody know how I can get around this? Perhaps, get Postfix
>working using the Root user object? Is it bad to be running as Root? I'm
>guessing it could be potentially bad as if a hacker got in, it'd have
>root access to everything and be able to do some pretty nifty stuff.
>Just trying to figure this eTrust stuff out, any suggestions, advice,
>tips, or whatever is definitely appreciated. Thanx in advance and sorry
>for the long post.
>
>Howard

I am no expert -  bur try running MS as postfix (which i think you have
to do if you want to run postfix, postfix cannot run as root, this is a
feature) and only change the settings for incoming work dir, as this is
where the work is done by etrust. Its in the top part of MailScanner.conf

Get MS qworking with postfix, routing mail as desired, then get etrust
working, if it breaks postfix trying to get etrust working, then you are
not doing it right.