/etc/mail/access weirdness

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at WOODMACLAW.COM
Mon Apr 5 23:13:19 IST 2004

On all of the emails "to" mchandler at woodmaclaw.com that I checked, in
the header they had "To: mchandler at woodmaclaw.com" or
To: <mchandler at woodmaclaw.com>

When you say SMTP ID, is that the message id such as:

I'm new to the RCPT To: attribute, I'll watch the tail -f
/var/log/maillog to see.

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Matt Kettler
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 4:56 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: /etc/mail/access weirdness

At 05:43 PM 4/5/2004, Billy A. Pumphrey wrote:
>THE BAD::
>I have the spam mail forwarded to a spam mail box, and in about 4 days
>it has gotten 24 email addresses addressed to mchandler at woodmaclaw.com.
>Any ideas?
>
>I also have several more instances like this with other email
addresses.

Define "addressed to".. do you mean the To: header contains
mchandler at woodmaclaw.com?

Just because the To: header says one thing, does not mean the envelope
was
causing the message to be delivered to that user. Check SMTP ID's in the
message headers against your maillogs, I'm betting you'll find that the
RCPT To: was something other than  mchandler at woodmaclaw.com.