SA Max Message Size

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 19:48:50 IST 2004

At 19:26 05/04/2004, you wrote:

># SpamAssassin is not very fast when scanning huge messages, so messages
># bigger than this value will be truncated to this length for SpamAssassin
># testing. The original message will not be affected by this. This value
># is a good compromise as very few spam messages are bigger than this.
>Max SpamAssassin Size = 90000
>
>(don't know how I missed this stnd option)
>
>If I am reading this correctly, SA will still scan a 100000 byte message
>but it will only scan the first 90000 bytes.

Correct. I set this limit to 10 or 20,000 myself. Doesn't seem to radically
affect the score and it's a whole lot faster.

>   By nature of the second sentence, wouldn't it be a good idea to (have
> the option to) pass these messages unscanned rather than scan 90K (or 30K
> which seems to be the new default) of a message that is most likely not
> spam anyway?

The average size of a spam message is growing. My "truncation" approach
means you don't have to tweak it as spam gets bigger. I used to do it your
way but my way produced better results, so I changed it.
--
Julian Field