bayes expiry

Gib Gilbertson gib at TMISNET.COM
Mon Apr 5 04:02:02 IST 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 01:06:35 +1000, Gib Gilbertson Jr. <gib at TMISNET.COM>
wrote:

>At 03:54 PM 3/29/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>>Due to your nightly expiry not pausing MailScanner while it does it, your
>>Bayes files got corrupted.
>
>Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.. Thanks Julian.
>
>Now I know why we should be running the expiry out of the MailScanner
>scripts....
>
>gib
>
>>At 15:43 29/03/2004, you wrote:
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>Any guesses as to why I would all of a sudden be getting the following
>>>message when doing nightly expiry after this had been working for weeks?
>>>
>>>[root at thumper]# sa-learn -C
>>>/usr/local/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf --force-expire
>>>Cannot open bayes_path /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes R/O: Inappropriate
>>>file type or format
>>>Cannot open bayes_path /var/spool/spamassassin/bayes R/W: Inappropriate
>>>file type or format
>>>
>>>The path is correct, and the files were there. I ended up having to
delete
>>>all the bayes files, and when the command was re-ran it created new
files.

>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>gib
>>>

>>>      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
>>>     Tierramiga Info Systems
>>>      619-287-8647 Support
>>>      http://www.tmisnet.com
>>>      San Diego's "Friendly ISP"
>>
>>--
>>Julian Field
>>www.MailScanner.info
>>MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
>>
>>PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654

Well, auto expire ran fine for a few days using MailScanner's expiry as set
in spam.assassin.prefs.conf but now I have a corrupted Bayes databases
again. So I guess I'll try a cron job that halts MailScanner, expires the
Bayes db and then restarts MailScanner.

gib

      Gib Gilbertson Jr.
     Tierramiga Info Systems