Sending to many multiple email servers

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Sat Apr 3 02:37:49 IST 2004

Egil:

Wow, that's quite a setup.
I'm not understanding the roles of each server in this example, though.

I assume that your 4 mailscanner machines do not host mailboxes. That
would make them mail relays, and/or mail gateways. (same thing in many
cases)

I assume again that your 20-25 mail servers ARE your mailbox machines.
(firewalling them makes a lot of sense) I don't know what your 2
gateways are for. I guess that they are non-mailscanner gateways for
people who don't want that service. I'm also not sure what your perl
script is accomplishing.

Anyway, having balanced MX records pointing to 2 mail relays running
MailScanner is a great way to load-balance MailScanner. My problem w/
such a large mail system is how to achieve load-balancing on the mailbox
side. Failover is possible w/ something like DRBD, to mirror a
filesystem between two computers, and then provide IP-address takeover
if one machine dies.

Another good feature that I'm using is LDAP lookups in sendmail.
w/ LDAP enabled sendmail/mailscanner gateways, I can have mailboxes for
some users at mydomain.com on one server, and other users at
mydomain.com on another server. This way, I can have a large
organization w/ the one domain name, but w/ mailbox servers all over the
place.
You can also call this mailbox load balancing, but each individual
mailbox is still hosted by a single machine, so this technique doesn't
provide failover on the mailbox side.
One great benefit of this approach is that no matter how many gateway
machines I have, they all have access to the same list of valid user
names. If someone sends mail to a non-existant username, the gateways
can deny delivery up-front, and never accept the mail.

-Bill