Postfix "skipped, still being delivered" Issues

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Fri Apr 2 01:32:43 IST 2004

Hirsh, Joshua wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
> I know this subject has been talked about quite often in the past, but has
>the list come up with a consensus on how to go about correcting this issue?
>

> The last update about this problem was when 4.24-4 was released to
>hopefully correct this problem (which, unfortunately, it didn't).
>
> After that there was a brief thread about using Postfix in a single
>installation via the hold queue and potential updates to the Postfix
>documentation, but I see this hasn't changed yet.
>

> Is the hold queue method now the preferred method of integrating
>MailScanner with Postfix?

I think so...but both methods are very simple - its is handy being able
to control in and out postfixs in split mode, maybe you can do this in
single mode as well?

> Drew Marshall posted his method of setting up the hold queue back on
>January 20th, which can be found here:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0401&L=mailscanner&P=90332
>
> Has anyone noticed if implementing the hold queue via the header checks
>have a significant negative impact on performance?

I have 2 machine in production with the split postfix queue and a
replacement mavchine in my office ready for production with the HOLD method.
I havent done any thorough testing other than throwing thousands of
light weight emails at the server, but i do notice the issue of mail
sitting in the defered queue are non existant with default settings
using the HOLD method, this isnt true of the split queue method ) or
least not true of my other machines at least. The solution for me was to
reduce the child processes to one for spli mode - this made a massive
difference to my low volume machine. I change a couple opf other things
as well, but only from tips i found in the list archive.

> Is there another way to force all incoming mail to be held?

See all the header_checks doco.

Also i have attached the guides send to me by another kind list member,
whom i have forgotton the name - apologies.