MailScanner 4.28.6-1 on Mandrake 10.0 Community

Joseph Watson josephwatson at FSE.US
Thu Apr 1 19:18:41 IST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to get MailScanner 4.28.6 to work on Mandrake 10.0 Community,
Postfix 2.1.0.  I beleive I have all the required perl modules, I have gone
through that several times.

When I start MailScanner in Debug mode, it will consume 100% of CPU.  It
goes into a endless loop and does not return.  There is also no output of
any form.  Nothing to standard out, and nothing in any Log files.  I have to
kill it.

So I started digging into the code, and it appears that in
/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Postfix.pm, on line 386 there is a while
statement:

while(($rectype, $recdata) = ReadRecord($RQf)) {

For some reason, ReadRecord($RQf) is returning blank values infinatley.
This causes the while to go into a endless loop.

Also, on line 383:

seek $RQf, $MsgContSize+$DataOffset, 0;

$MsgContSize has values like EE54EF798A.  I am sure this is wrong??  and
could cause weard effects.

The following is the output from MailScanner after I uncommented a few
debugging print statements in Postfix.pm:

[root at LinuxServer jtwatson]# MailScanner /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
In Debugging mode, not forking...
ReadRecord: Got length byte 63
ReadRecord: C "         355382             267               1
0"
Content size = EE54EF798A
Data offset  =
Num Recips   =
ReadRecord: Got length byte 10
ReadRecord: T "1080836014"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 22
ReadRecord: S "debbiebonenfant at fse.us"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 27
ReadRecord: A "client_address=192.xx.x.xx"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 36
ReadRecord: A "message_origin=unknown[192.x.x.x]"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 14
ReadRecord: A "helo_name=wk12"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 18
ReadRecord: A "protocol_name=SMTP"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 15
ReadRecord: W "     1080850414"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 20
ReadRecord: O "Girlpower528 at aol.com"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 20
ReadRecord: R "Girlpower528 at aol.com"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 0
ReadRecord: M ""
ReadRecord: Got length byte 44
ReadRecord: N "Received: from wk12 (unknown [192.x.x.x])"
ReadRecord: Got length byte 55
ReadRecord: N " by mailserver.fse.us (Postfix) with SMTP id EE54EF798A"

This keeps going forever......

As you can see, something on my system is messed up.

Does someone have any ideas what I should try next?

- Regards

Joseph Watson EIT

Flint Surveying & Engineering
5370 Miller Rd., Suite 13