how to monitor mailscanner is running

MailScanner mailscanner at SMITS.CO.UK
Thu Apr 1 09:27:07 IST 2004

Check out the startin and startout options for the MS script. They allow
you to select which sendmail is running.

Bart...

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of John Rudd
Posted At: 31 March 2004 22:10
Posted To: MailScanner
Conversation: how to monitor mailscanner is running
Subject: Re: how to monitor mailscanner is running

Julian Field wrote:

> If MailScanner stops, no  mail should flow at all.

Again, I disagree.  There have been many times where I want sendmail or
CGP to keep running while mailscanner is stopped, or visa-versa.  The
"monolithic mailscanner rc script" just makes this a pain.

(for example, there have been times where a mail server has been
flooded, so I take its incoming sendmail offline, while leaving the
outgoing sendmail and mailscanner running, so that it can clear out the
mqueue.in, while the other smtp servers keep incoming mail flowing)

(another example, on my sendmail machines I want to change mailscanner
without interrupting the SMTP service; or, on the CGP machines, I want
to change mailscanner without interrupting IMAP, POP, or WebMail
service, which are all part of CGP in addition to SMTP)

If MailScanner stops, it should not _necessarily_ change whether or not
you are receiving mail in mqueue.in.  It should definitely not change
whether or not your 2nd sendmail (the -q15m one) is running.

If the MTA stops, it should also not necessarily change whether or not
MailScanner is running.