FreeBSD ports

Jan-Peter Koopmann Jan-Peter.Koopmann at SECEIDOS.DE
Thu Apr 1 07:56:17 IST 2004

On Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:23 AM Pete <mailto:pete at EATATHOME.COM.AU> wrote:

> I am about to go live with my first FreeBSD machine, I used
> the devel branch of the mailscanner port.
>
> When the beta/devel branch turns into a final/release product
> - does that mean the last of the betas is now one release
> behind? So to have the latest version, would have to switch
> from mailscanner-devel to mailscanner ?

You should then switch from mailscanner-devel to mailscanner. But that really is as simple as

cd /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner-devel
make uninstall
cd /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner
make install

> If the above is true, then would it be possible to release a
> new beta relase, maybe for the next 'series'/release number
> so both versions are current ?

In theory: yes. But keep in mind that it usually takes the FreeBSD folks a few days to commit a new port. 4.29.5 took about 1 1/2 weeks. I can usually push the main releases a bit. Therefore: Change to stable once the new version is out.

Regards

Jan-Peter Koopmann
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsinformatiker
Senior Engineer