MailScanner Performance

Dave Goodrich ldg at tls.net
Mon Sep 29 22:25:53 IST 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:12:01PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> Also, bear in mind that there are 2 figures that will always grow:
> 1) number of messages per day, and
> 2) average size of a message.
> You need to allow for both of these when sizing your servers, most people
> forget number 2.

Yes, I'm currently at 400k to 500k a day but only 30% of my accounts use
Spamassassin. I expect the sales depart to push AV very hard. (I would like
to see it on all accounts by default just to protect my own network).

I'm also pondering the concern that another network could increase my
message rate without warning. We saw that already when other local ISPs
had infected clients, with our clients names in thier addressbooks.

A million messages a day suddenly doesn't seem that far away.

DAve