Sendmail -q15m unchangeable?

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Mon Sep 29 19:20:21 IST 2003

/etc/sysconfig/sendmail

-----Original Message-----
Of Richard Peiper
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 1:07 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Sendmail -q15m unchangeable?

        Afternoon everyone,

        We originally contracted out our SpammAssassin/MailScanner build to
a 3rd party company (don't ask me, I had nothing to do with it). When they
screwed it up, I was given the task as "He who might figure it out".

        I have managed thru help of various documents to get it up, running,
scanning, etc etc etc. However I have one problem which is eluding me.
Sendmail only runs the queue every 15 minutes instead of every 5 or even 2
like I want it to. I thought this would be an easy setting to change, but
maybe I am just not finding it.

        A ps -ef shows this:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m

        I am pretty sure the -q indicates the pause between queue processes.
I checked the rc3.d and rc5.d K30sendmail configurations and they indicate a
1hour queue time. I changed that to 1 minute and it made no difference on
restart.

        I also checked the Queue Scan Interval in the MailScanner.conf and
it is set to 30 seconds.

        I believe this is controlled by the /etc/rc.d/init.d configuration
for MailScanner which has a setting in there for QUEUETIME=15m. But when I
change this to 5m it doesn't make a difference.

        Any ideas where this is controlled? I am getting some serious heat
from upper management on "Email being slow".

        Richard