FreeBSD

Tomaz Borstnar tomaz.borstnar at OVER.NET
Mon Sep 29 19:07:37 IST 2003

At 19:22 29.9.2003, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I searched the list and the net a bit, and I didn't find any special
> discussion about the FreeBSD port.  Installation, performance?
Mailscanner 4.22-5 is in FreeBSD ports and is really easy to set up as it
does all but configure mailscanner and spamassassin for you.
Performance is no problem if you have enough RAM - go with 384MB or more to
feel comfortable. It does not work bad with 256MB either if machine is
dedicated to Mailscanner..

>   I am running RH9 right now and it seems to be heavy on RAM use, even if
> I disabled all useless services and tweaked all the others to make sure
> RAM usage is low.  I am tempted by putting my MS system on FreeBSD.  4.8
> or 5.1, I'm not sure.
4.22-5 with SA needs approx 35megs per daemon while 4.23-11 needs 38.
Without SA it needs 18 megs per daemon.

>    Comments?
Both should work fine.

Go with this idea, because you will spend less time updating OS just to
keep machine secure and FreeBSD ports have proper patches already present -
like the one for razor in order for SA 2.60 to work properly. MS is nice
product which gets better and better with additional tweaking, but even
defaults are good start.

Tomaz