WARNING: Problems with new version of Sophos (3.74)

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Sep 29 11:39:02 IST 2003

Greetings -

An update on my continued experimentations with the new (3.74) release of
Sophos Anti-Virus on our Solaris boxes...

The swpmess.dat file
--------------------
This is indeed now needed (or a symlink to the original) in the directory
containing the IDEs and "vdl" files.  If missing Sophos gives a warning
about not being able to read it and defaults to using English messages.

Julian's patch (which I applied manually as it was so short) sets up such a
link and keeps Sophos happy.

My assertion that /etc/sav.conf is required
This wasn't correct.  On Friday my tired brain was causing my fingers to
invoke Sweep directly when testing.

However using the sophos-wrapper script with or without the /etc/sav.conf
file present works just *fine*.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH
---------------
One other side observation is that Sweep from version 3.73 appears to have
been linked against static libraries: you could just run it directly
without having to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to the
directory containing the Sophos shared libraries.

However the Sweep with 3.74 appears to be dynamically linked and _does_
require LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set appropriately.

Of course this, too, is irrelevant when using the sophos-wrapper script
(which sets the environment variable for you).

Just thought I'd mention it in passing...

Cheers,

Mike Brudenell

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *