striphtml does not work

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Sep 24 19:24:42 IST 2003

At 18:55 24/09/2003, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 24 September 2003 6:50 pm, Kevin Spicer wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 17:21, Menno Jansz wrote:
> > > I think I figured out the problem. At the moment I'm only using
> > > MailScanner for spam purposes and so I set "Virus Scanning = no".
> > > This seems to stop the striphtml from happening on spam. Is that right?
> >
> > That stops all processing.  Set the following....
> >
> > Virus Scanning = yes
> > Virus Scanners = none
>
>Methinks maybe the name "Virus Scanning" should be changed to avoid this sort
>of confusion?
>
>Perhaps call the option "Malicious Content Scanning" instead?   That sounds
>sufficient different from "spam" and yet sufficiently inclusive to cover the
>tests it actually controls.

Yes, I entirely agree. However, I didn't want to rename an option as
important as this. The "upgrade_MailScanner_conf" script would detect it as
an old option having been removed and a new option added. So you would end
up with the option probably switched on. Unless you read the output of the
script fairly carefully, you wouldn't notice that all your virus scanning
rules were being ignored. And I bet people don't read the script output,
they just ignore it.

So it's rather difficult to rename this option now :-(
I have a phobia about pissing off existing users....
--
Julian Field