Sendmail configuration and MailScanner

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Sep 24 14:32:07 IST 2003

Good point.  In this case, entries in /etc/mail/access are probably the only
way.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
Of Kevin Spicer
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 8:19 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Sendmail configuration and MailScanner

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 14:11, Mike Kercher wrote:

>I think the first question to answer is why his mail server is
>accepting mail at all for non-existent users.  The incoming sendmail
>process
>*should*
>reject invalid recipients before the email is ever accepted.

Thats all very well where the accounts are local to the machine, or in some
database that sendmail can access, but when used as a relay between the net
and an internal server (e.g. Exchange) I don't know of any way to make
sendmail aware of user accounts in Active Directory.  (short of manual
intervention, and I'm not a great believer in manual intervention!).  If
I've missed a trick here I'd be delighted if someone could set me right!

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the recipient and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material.  If you have received this
in error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately.
Disclosure, copying or other action taken in respect of this email or in
reliance on it is prohibited.  BMRB International Limited accepts no
liability in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which
does not directly relate to our business.