SWEN

Rodney Green rgreen at TRAYERPRODUCTS.COM
Wed Sep 24 14:17:29 IST 2003

Antony Stone wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 September 2003 1:53 pm, Rodney Green wrote:
>

>>Greetings!
>>
>>I'm new to MailScanner. I'm using it with Postfix.
>>
>>I'm looking for a way to prevent the Swen virus messages from making it
>>to our users. I searched the archive and found a message asking people
>>to add "Swen Gibe" to our silent viruses list. How does this work?  Do I
>>add "Swen Gibe" without the quotes? I'm a bit confused as to how the
>>silent virus restriction works. Can someone clarify this for me?
>>

>So-called Silent Viruses are ones which forge the sender's address, so that
>there's no point in bouncing an email back to the apparent sender, telling
>them their machine is infected, because it would go to someone else.
>
>By putting the names of such viruses into the list of Silent Viruses in
>MailScanner.conf, you can control which viruses will result in the sender
>being informed, and which will not.
>
>Look at the Silent Viruses line in MailScanner.cond to see an example of the
>correct format.
>
>However, note that it is *not* the "Sender: " header in the email itself
>which the message gets sent back to, it is the SMTP Envelope sender address,
>and from everything I have seen, this is *not* forged by Swen / Gibe.
>
>My opinion is that this particular virus should not be added to the silent
>list, and my server is successfully sending bounces back to the true senders
>of this virus.

Thanks for the info! It's much appreciated.

My users are receiving a  number of SWEN infected messages that are
quarantined by MailScanner. Is there a way to prevent them from
receiving these quarantined messages?

Thanks again,
Rod