update_virus_scanners

Daniel Bird dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK
Wed Sep 24 09:35:56 IST 2003

Kevin Spicer wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 03:00, Daniel Bird wrote:
>

>>I seem to be having a problem with update_virus_scanners
>>

>>On one box, when I run it, it finds mcafee and f-prot installed but not
>>trend (even though they all are).
>>On another, it find none of them installed. (which I presume would also
>>explain why I've not seen it detect a virus since I installed it
>>yesterday?)
>>On another, it finds all of them installed.
>>

>Make sure that you are running the same version of MailScanner on all
>machines (preferably the latest) as there have been recent changes in
>this area.  If you updated any of the MailScanner installs make sure you
>don't have any .rpmnew files kicking around in /usr/lib/MailScanner.
>
>You can check whether the wrapper scripts are correctly reporting
>whether the package is installed (this is how update_virus_scanners
>finds out) by looking in the virus.scanners.conf file for your scanner
>and calling the wrapper script (2nd field) with the package directory as
>the first argument (3rd field) and -IsItInstalled as the second
>argument, then checking the exit status.  Any scanner that is installed
>should give an exit status of 0.
>
>e.g. for f-prot...
>$ /usr/lib/MailScanner/f-prot-wrapper /usr/local/f-prot -IsItInstalled
>$ echo $?
>0
>
>(which shows that f-prot is detected on my system).

Thanks for that Kevin. I have it all working now.

Problems were
1) Mcafee & F-prot on the box where none of the updates worked were
installed in non standard locations by one of my admins (DOH!)

2) On all the other boxes the trend-wrapper reqires vscan to be in a sub
direcotry of bin within the base directory. I'm not sure why this should
be the case as the default install of trend installs in
/opt/trend/ISBASE/IScan.BASE/vscan not
/opt/trend/ISBASE/IScan.BASE/bin/vscan. I simply did:
cd /opt/trend/ISBASE/IScan.BASE
mkdir bin
mv vscan bin/
and all was well.