eTrust

Nathan Johanson nathan at TCPNETWORKS.NET
Mon Sep 22 22:26:56 IST 2003

Huh? I am not a Computer Associates employee. Ouch. Just been doing some research lately.

Here is the eTrust support site:

http://support.ca.com/inocitsupp.html

Here is the page that talks about which distributions eTrust 7 supports and a link to a recent update (as far as I can tell, the distribution on the cd-rom does not even give you RH 8 support unless you install these patch(es) first.

http://support.ca.com/techbases/ilnt/etav70linux-prodann.html

Red Hat 9.0 is not supported. I wouldn't bother trying to install eTrust on this distribution until the vendor has put it through the tests and actually *supports* it. Downgrading your OS just to support eTrust seems silly. You may want to look at alternatives. I've been putting a lot of effort recently into investigating the various virus scanners supported by MailScanner. Eventually (maybe in a few days)... I will post the results of my tedious travels through customer service, vendor web sites, sales representatives, un-returned phone calls, licensing issues, and uninformed responses to simple questions. Some of the AntiVirus vendors will eventually rise to the top and it should give you (or anyone) a good idea which antivirus packages to consider (at least as things stand right now).

BTW, RHEL 2.1 is my misrepresentation of Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1.

Hope this helps. For now, I suggest you stop banging your head against this eTrust issue and move on to something else.

Nathan

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Erik Jakobsen [mailto:eja at URBAKKEN.DK]
	Sent: Mon 9/22/2003 10:01 AM
	To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
	Subject: Re: eTrust

	Erik Jakobsen wrote:
	> Nathan Johanson wrote:
	>
	>> It's eTrust AntiVirus 7.0. They recently release patches that support RH
	>> 8.0 and Enterprise 2.1.
	>>
	>> http://support.ca.com/techbases/ilnt/etav70linux-prodann.html
	>>
	>> You will get a copy of this version if you buy the boxed product from
	>> one of the online resellers (such as PC Mall).
	>>
	>> http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=131991
	>
	>
	>
	> Lo Nathan. This site just seems to be for US customers ??.
	> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Hi again Nathan. I'm not sure if your are an employed from CA/eTrust,
	but never mind.

	Its something of a modification to say, that the etav70linux supports
	recent Linnux OS's. I know for instance the SuSE 8.0 is not out, but the
	  version I run here on THIS computer is the SuSE 8.2.. Lets roughly
	say, that there's at least one year or more between 8.0 and 8.2. I have
	them all from 6.1 I think.

	To make one thing clear again, the etav70linux here should run on my
	Clarkconnect server based on the RedHat 9.0. This version is the most
	new one as far as I know.