Silent virus list

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Fri Sep 19 13:32:13 IST 2003

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
> I have seem copys where the from=<user at xs4all.blah>, so yes you have got a
> point there. I still would like to put it on the silent list however. If
> we all start sending around the same ammount of mails the virus generates
> if will double the mailtraffic the worm would do.

Fair point, but if the automatic alerts from systems like MailScanner
actually get back to the person with the infection, they might actually
do something about it and reduce the overall effect of the worm. This is
why I would be against the wholesale removal of the mechanism for
notifying senders of nastiness.

The problem with Klez and Sobig is that you can't alert the owner of the
infected machine easily and they don't realise they're doing anything
wrong, and of course *they* won't get infected with a virus will they?? ;-)

We've only seen 150 or so copies of Gibe-F so far and never had that
many of the other family members before. It's interesting that Raymond
has had over 5000 copies - do you have a huge user population Raymond?
Our Informatics department (posh name for CompSci!) have their own
e-mail system (don't they always? (no offence Julian! :-)) and they've
seen a larger number of Gibe-F relative to our count that the 5% or so
that they normally encounter. Suggests that it's not spreading
particularly quickly but is quite prolific when it finds a victim?

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"