Mailscanner CPU Use

Thu Sep 18 19:55:44 IST 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 7:26 pm, William Mahler wrote:

> We are running MailScanner version 4.21-9 on a Red Hat 8.0 Dual processor
> Intel box.  It has been running great since it was install on the new
> system in April. It was running under Red Hat 6.2 previously.
>
> here are the problems
> 1st the number of Virii caught has dropped like a rock.  The daily average
> was 3-400 and it's now down to 2-4  We can trace the change back to last
> Wednesday

I assume that the majority of the 300-400 viruses you were catching until
Wednesday were Sobig.F?   That virus "timed out" last week, and only
computers whose clocks are wrong should now be continuing to send any out.

I must agree that 300-400 going down to 2-4 is an incredible drop, but if you
were being bombarded from a few specific sources with Sobig.F, that may
account for the high number.

It would be interesting to know:

 - how many emails are you processing per day, with the 2-4 viruses being
detected?

 - what viruses are you now picking up?

 - were you picking up much more than just Sobig until last Wednesday?

Regards,

Antony.

--

Software development can be quick, high-quality, or low-cost.

The customer gets to pick any two out of three.