Spam Score Thresholds

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Thu Sep 18 17:48:50 IST 2003

jburzenski at americanhm.com wrote:
> I'm sure this question has been asked a lot in the past but I'm
> wondering what the current consensus is for Spam Score and High Scoring
> Spam Score values?  Do most of you stick with the defaults?

4.5 and 10 works well for us. Some false positives hence a fair sized
whitelist. Even at that level we still miss some spam. DCC is a breeze
to install and if you bump the score for that up you catch a fair bit
more. using SpamAssassin 2.60 but no bayes.

When I asked the same question in March my summary was:

OK - I had 12 responses (although one wasn't a direct response but
someone put the numbers in another message!) plus ourselves.

Average ordinary threshold was 5.6 and average High score was 13.3.

6 of the 13 are using 5 as the low score, we're now using 4.5 and the
lowest in standard use was 4.4 although someone said they used 4
personally but 5 for everyone else. The highest lower threshold was 9.

On the High SpamAssassin Score, a number of people either didn't use it
or left it at the default of 20. Just using the 6 who had changed the
value, the average was 10.

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"