MailScanner and Exchange {Scanned by HJMS}

Thu Sep 18 00:49:25 IST 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 12:30 am, Furnish, Trever G wrote:

> > Has anyone found a way to have MailScanner protect messages
> > sent between
> > Exchange users?  I've been trying to come up with a way for every
> > message that is sent to be routed through our MailScanner
> > boxes, even if
> > the message is sent between two users on the same Exchange server.
>
> I would second Anders' response - that it's unlikely to be possible.
> Exchange doesn't pass a message off to any other system when the recipient
> is on the same host that the sender is connected to, so you never have any
> opportunity to use the Exchange routing rules.

I agree also.   There *are* various products available which will do
antivirus checking or other content filtering on email between accounts on a
single Exchange box, however they are very definitely plugins for Exchange -
they embed themselves into its inner workings, and therefore I would be
pretty sure that you can't get the Exchange server to forward its email to
somewhere else, where it can be processed, even if some of it then just
immediately comes back again for delivery.

However, I am *not* an Exchange administrator (and never have been), so it
may be possible to set up some mechanism for *all* email to be sent to
another machine for processing - my only concern is that this would almost
certainly need to be another Exchange box, however :(

Some idea of hierarchical servers, workgroups, and the email equivalent of
domain controllers comes to mind, however, as I say, I'm not an Exchange
administrator :)

Regards,

Antony.

--

Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery