Verisign idiocy confusion

Gerry Doris gerry at dorfam.ca
Wed Sep 17 14:14:48 IST 2003

> Exim users worried by Verisign's abuse might like to try adding
> 64.94.110.11 to ignore_target_hosts in any dnslookup routers. Or even
> 64.94.110.0/24 in case VeriSlime start changing it.
>
> This seems to restore the original behaviour if a non-existant .com or
> .net is used in sent or received e-mail.
>
> --
> Mike Zanker
> Northampton, UK
> PGP Public Key: pgp at zanker.org

I've been reading the various notes about Verisign messing with DNS but I
really don't understand exactly what they did, how they can do whatever
they did. or why they would want to.

>From what I understand they were able to change the DNS records for the
master .com and .net DNS server(s) so that any address whether fake or
real that is a .com or .net will pass as a valid domain name....correct?

How were they able to do this and why would they want to???

Gerry