Mail Routing Issues {Scanned by HJMS}

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Tue Sep 16 17:05:35 IST 2003

Good point Trever, that was my original problem.  But I think you hit
the nail on the head with your previous post Antony, stating that the MX
record was pointed to a CNAME.  That does sound exactly like what
happened but I'll never be sure.

An just for completeness, to answer your questions:

I asked the DNS admin to 'make the record for b.com respond exactly like
a.com and c.com for an MX query.'  The problem was, a.com and c.com
would return NO information about MX whereas b.com would return that
canonical name junk.

Posting the real domain names wouldn't have helped anyway because this
is an internal DNS server that is causing my routing problems so you
couldn't have done any testing. :)

You do bring about an interesting point and maybe I should now consider
deploying a separate dns service for the purpose of maintaining these
records or work towards repairing the existing internal dns server.
Ideally I would like to have my particular mail routes ignore DNS but
since Im already ignoring DNS from the perspective of the configuration,
this does not seem possible.

FYI:  I tried removing the resolv.conf file last night to see what
effect it would have on my message routes and what happened was
suprising.  All mail simply queued up.  Nothing was delivered even
though I have my routes specified as IP addresses.  Go figure.