mailscanner shutdown

Tue Sep 16 16:15:06 IST 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 1:21 pm, Ulysees wrote:

> is there any cleaner way of causing mailscanner to shutdown ?

Cleaner than what?

> maybe it's more of a sendmail flaw but leaving around half finished xf and
> df files in the the queues causes me a fair bit of annoyance.

Which queues?

MailScanner should not take very long to shut down, and when it does so, it
tidies up after itself (this is one reason why it takes a few seconds to shut
down).

> they way i figure it should it not be possible on shutdown to refuse new
> connections

Are you talking about shutting down MailScanner or your MTA?   MailScanner
does not accept connections at all, so if you're shutting down MS, this is
not an issue.

> and wait x period for existing messaged to be delivered

Again, MailScanner does not deliver mail - that is also done by your MTA.

MailScanner merely moves files from the processing queue to the delivery
queue; you have two MTA processes which are responsible for accepting
incoming connections and placing files in the processing queue, and then
taking files from the delivery queue and delivering them.

> and then after that kill them but remove the dead bits from the queue ?

Tell us what 'dead bits' you mean, and which queue you are finding them in.

Also tell us what command you are using to shut anythng down.

Regards,

Antony.

--

"Note: Windows 98, Windows 98SE and Windows 95 are not affected by [MS
Blaster].   However, these products are no longer supported.   Users of these

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp