Dealing with MailScanner overloads {Scanned by HJMS}

Mon Sep 15 19:03:21 IST 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 6:55 pm, Clas Net Newsletter wrote:

> Just so we don't re-invent the wheel, you can throttle using tcp wrappers

I would not run tcpwrappers for email service on a reasonably loaded server -
it introduces far too much latency for each email coming in, and the security
value of tcpwrappers has diminished almost totally over the years.

So many remote systems don't respond to Ident requests these days that it's
hardly worth bothering sending them out, and they do add a significant delay
when they get blocked and have to time out.

Also, tcpwrappers understands nothing at all about the content of email, so
you can only use it to block or throttle the machine directly sending to your
server.   Some of the other solutions posted here recently have been based on
subject, originating machine, or intermediate relays, and I think these are
far more appropriate for managing email floods.

Regards,

Antony.

--

Because it completely breaks the way people normally read things.
Why is top-posting bad?