Detailed AntiVirus Software Roundup

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Mon Sep 15 17:51:01 IST 2003

> * Which scanners work dependably on a Linux platform from a purely
> technical standpoint? There are several of them listed on the
> MailScanner site:
> http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/OS-virus-scan-web.htm

Hi,
   I sent Julian a newer version of this webpage last week, to include
eTrust.  I guess he hasn't had time to put it up yet.  When I cooked
up this chart, it was simply to answer the question "What anti-virus
software can I use with MailScanner on my OS/chipset configuration?"
Attempting to answer the question of "What is a GOOD anti-virus software
for my setup?" is a much harder question.  The quick answer is
"use multiple scanners, according to your budget and platform
capabilities."

As an aside, creating this chart was a real pain because most vendor's
webpages stink.  They give you all of this marketing hype, but usually
no specifics on their webpages, like:

* a chart of OS and chipsets the product runs on
* is the code a proprietary executables, compilable source code,
  or what?
* a chart of licensing costs, per seat or per server.

There are exceptions, but most vendors want you to call/email for
this detailed info.  Who wants to talk to 15 differenct salesmen?
Yuck.  At least Clam doesn't put you through that pain.

--- Jeff Earickson