Feature request

Remco Barendse mailscanner at BARENDSE.TO
Mon Sep 15 10:42:06 IST 2003

Can I do a feature request for MailScanner (actually I made this request
already a long time ago, but think there wasn't enough interest or time
for it at the time): to kill off the status messages

Unfortunately MS Exchange is *very* persistent in happily sending out
privacy sensitive status messages which cannot be disabled.

Examples are:
-read receipt: your message to xxx was read by Jones on 12-sep-03 at 18:00
-not read: Your message to xxx ws deleted without being read on Mon, 15
Sep 2003 11:28:53 +0200

-delivery status notifications : your message was successfully delivered
to xxx on xxx (very nice and handy feature for spammers)

These messages that exchange sends out, *really* piss me off, i don't want
anybody to know who reads which message when without our authorization!!

It's immensely embarrasing when somebody in our organization doesn't want
to be disturbed and the secretary tells people on the phone that the
person is not in office and M$ Exchange is confirming that he/she is
reading her mail. You cannot even see from the client that these messages
are being sent.

In Office XP there is a little better control over this, supposedly it is
possible to turn the read receipt off, but this is not possible with
Office 2000.

I've tried all sorts of ways to suppress these messages, sendmail rules on
subject (which only catches 80% because M$ Exchange replies in the
character set the original message was sent, and this bypasses the rules),
I've tried installing Microgarden Outlook tools, they catch only about 50%
of these messages.

I think this would be a great feature to secure privacy for people that
must use M$ Exchange.