POP3 scanning?

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Sun Sep 14 17:28:02 IST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 17:04, Antony Stone wrote:

>I know I could deal with (b) using iptables redirection etc, but that
>would
>only work when a laptop, for example, is inside my network, and I don't
>that
>to be a requirement for people to collect their email, nor do I want
>them to
>change their POP3 client settings.   I am perfectly happy that their
>mail
>will not be scanned if they collect it from outside of my network.

You're a braver man than I am then!  I would say, right now, that the
biggest threat to our network comes from laptops, as they provide a
means for all sorts of nasties to bypass our MailScanner, firewall and
proxies.  I know of several other networks who have had substantial
downtime in the last few weeks because of users plugging in laptops
which got infected by Blaster when being used away from the network.  We
got all ours patched in time (thank heavens).  We are now considering
whether it is worth paying for checkpoint licenses for all our laptops
so that even when they dial up to the internet they are still connecting
through our network, so we can protect them better.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.