POP3 scanning?

Sun Sep 14 16:29:03 IST 2003

Hi.

Is there a way to get MailScanner to process files in the format retreived
from a POP3 mailbox?

I'd like to use MailScanner as a plug-in to a POP3 proxy agent, so that a
user collecting their mail by POP3 has it transparently processed by
MailScanner during collection.

What I'm thinking is: email client connects to POP3 proxy, proxy connects to
real server; client requests mail no.1, proxy requests mail no.1, server
sends mail no.1 to proxy, proxy passes it to MailScanner for processing
(including all the normal subject line changes etc) and then proxy passes the
result back to client (unless MailScanner decided to delete it, in which case
the proxy just says "email no.1 does not exist" in POP3-speak).

I've only ever used MailScanner alongside sendmail, so I don't know if one of
the other MTA formats already supported by MailScanner matches the format of
files handled by POP3 (which I think is mbox format?).

Any ideas gratefully received.

Regards,

Antony.

--

The first ninety percent of an engineering project takes ninety percent
of the time, and the last ten percent takes the remaining ninety percent.