Fwd: RE: Dealing with MailScanner overloads

Sun Sep 14 15:31:13 IST 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 2:34 pm, Gerry Doris wrote:

> However, if scanning on the seconday MX isn't possible then I like the
> idea of turning it off until a better solution is found ie processing its
> mail at an offpeak time or redirecting the mail to another server for
> scanning.  The mail won't be lost.

Is that true?   If your primary MX actually rejects mail sent by the
secondary MX (rather than simply being unavailable), the secondary MX will
still keep it queued and try again?

I would have thought that if the mail was rejected, this would result in a
reject back to the original sender, but maybe I haven't checked primary /
seconday MX operation quite enough...

The main thing I would not want to happen is for a virus flood into my
secondary MX to result in all mail from the secondary to the primary being
rejected and returned undelivered.

Regards,

Antony.

--

Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.

 - William Gibson, Neuromancer (1984)