ANNOUNCE: Debian package updated

Jonas Bardino jonas at ODENSE.KOLLEGIENET.DK
Sat Sep 13 17:29:21 IST 2003

* Julian Field <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK> [Sep 13. 2003 16:03]:
> Matthias Klose has very kindly taken over the maintenance of the Debian
> package of MailScanner.
> He has released a brand new package of 4.23-11, which is rather more use
> than the ancient version 3 which was available before.
>
> See
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/mailscanner.html
> for more information. This is linked from the downloads page on the main
> MailScanner web site.
> --
> Julian Field
> www.MailScanner.info

For those of you running production servers the "testing" package may be
more appropriate than the "unstable" one. The former is based on
MailScanner 4.22 and it has been out for a few weeks now:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/mail/mailscanner.html

I've installed and tested it a bit with Exim, SpamAssassin, ClamAV and F-Prot
and it seems to be working nicely.
I had to specifically uninstall the old version 3 package before
installing the new one and the paths in
/etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf had to be changed from /opt/something
to /etc/MailScanner/wrapper/...
Apart from that I haven't experienced any problems so far.

Nice work Julian and Matthias!

Kind regards,
Jonas