RBL cache {Scanned by HJMS}

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Sat Sep 13 14:40:11 IST 2003

--

I don't want to make a caching DNS. I know how to do that already.  What I
mean is, for example:

1-You get a message from domain.example.com.  Mailscanner checks with the
RBL.  The RBL finds it is on a spamlist.  Mailscanner identifies the message
as spam, puts the domain at example.com in a local cache, sets a ttl of, say, 4
hours.

2-Five minutes later, you get another message from domain at example.com.  In
the current setup, to my knoledge, the RBL must be contacted again.  In my
suggestion, MailScanner looks in its local cache to see if
domain.example.com is on the spam list.  It is on the spam list, so it won't
have to contact the RBL again for this address.

I think this suggestion would decrease the load on the RBL servers and on
the network, and it would allow faster processing, since it is faster to do
a local query than a network query.