RBL cache {Scanned by HJMS}

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Fri Sep 12 22:17:52 IST 2003

If you wanted to do that, all you'd need to do is set up a caching-only dns
server on your local system.  If your system is redhat, I think they include
a package with the bind config meant specificly for that purpose.  I would
think most people already have another local server doing dns lookups for
them anyway, which is in effect a cache.  For example, my mailscanner uses
another local server as its dns server - that server is on the same ethernet
segment so there's very little difference compared to running my own cache
on the mailscanner.  The DNS server is caching all the lookups - because
that's just what DNS servers do.

If you're suggesting that you would like a long TTL on the records than the
TTL set by the RBL maintainers, that seems ill-informed to me - I would
think the individual RBL maintainer would have a better idea of how long his
records should be considered fresh than I would.