mailscanner system requirements???

Jason Burzenski jburzenski at AMERICANHM.COM
Fri Sep 12 18:44:35 IST 2003

I am interested in hearing more about load / resource comparisons.  It would
be nice to have a few rough baselines established.  Ie.

10,000 msgs / day = 256MB ram, 800MHz Proc
20,000 msgs / day = 512MB ram, 1.4Ghz
Etc...

It should also be mentioned that MailScanner works very well load balanced
using multiple equal preference MX records.

I am currently running a cluster of 2 load balanced (DNS only) Compaq DL360s
(2.5 GB RAM, RAID1 36GB SCSI drives, dual 2.4GHz Xeon procs).  Completely
overkill for the 30K msgs /day I process but Im working on getting some
additional domains on there which will probably triple the load.  So even
then it will be overkill.  But that's what you get when you ask a windows
shop for 'adequate hardware.' ;)

My config includes virus scanning and even through the sobig days (40K+
sobig msgs / day) the cpu avg never exceeded 5%.