"Spam Header" setting when SpamAssassin not being used

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at STRATH.AC.UK
Fri Sep 12 18:40:09 IST 2003

I've briskly searched the archives, and can see a few hints about this but
am unclear if it supposed to be fixed or a continuing problem.

I have an MS installation that I just want to do Virus checks.  No Spam
Assassin and no RBL checks of its own.  Using Exim 4.2x.

I have the following settings, which work fine:

Virus Scanning = %rules-dir%/whether-to-scan.rules
 (default = "yes", only entry)
Virus Scanners = mcafee
Spam Header = X-Strath-UBECheck:
Spam Checks = %rules-dir%/sa.scanning.rules
 (default = "no", only entry)
Spam List =
Use SpamAssassin = %rules-dir%/sa.scanning.rules
 (see above)
Spam Score = yes

A message doesn't appear to get SA-scanned, but it gets an empty:

header added.  I don't want this, but if I make:

Spam Header =

(with no spaces after the "=" sign) then I get a spool file error in exim
relating to the -H file written in the outgoing queue, which appears to be
because of the last line added:

021  X-Strath-Scan: clean
002

Since that doesn't show up too well, that's "002" (representing the number
of chars in the line, including the newline), plus three spaces and a
newline (two spaces to line up the columns, and one space of content).

I think Exim is complaining because it wouldn't expect to find an
essentially blank line in the -H.  Perhaps.  I used to see this ages ago
occasionally with MS Ancient Version, but I did something unknown and it
went away again.

Anyway, I guess MailScanner shouldn't be printing this bogus space in
first place, whatever Exim makes of it; does this information help find a
bug?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services