mailscanner system requirements???

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Fri Sep 12 18:33:41 IST 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 06:07:57PM +0100, Wild Child wrote:
> is there any system requirement[s](both hardware and software) for
> installing mailscanner program???
> is there any different requirement[s] if im using redhat???

As to hardware, you'll probably want 256 Meg of RAM if you want to
avoid swapping -- and you _do_ want to avoid swapping. More RAM will
help, up to a point of diminishing returns which will depend strongly
on your load.

If you're going to be handling more than, say, 10K mails per day,
then you should consider a server-grade box with dual CPUs, probably
PIII-866 or faster. Lots of disk space will come in handy if you save
spam for later inspection, and SCSI will make things more efficient
and reduce the load from I/O on the CPU.

I get by with a 450 MHz P-III and 384 Meg of RAM, and 12 GB of disk,
but would be *much* happier with some big, roomy, modern disks instead
of the small ones that came with this pulled-off-the-surplus-heap box.
Since it only sees about 6-7K Emails per day, it's sufficient. When
Sobig.G hits, it might not be.

I run FreeBSD 4.7; others run various Linux flavors. You will want
to get the complete list of Perl modules required for MailScanner
and make sure they're available. You probably should consider
running ClamAV, and I think that SpamAssassin is the right hand to
MailScanner's left.

All the above is free except the hardware, and mine literally did come
from a pallet of old, underpowered machines headed for surplus sales.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin since 1964