Quarantine file collisions

Fri Sep 12 15:09:05 IST 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 2:55 pm, Malcolm Ray wrote:

> A minor nit:
>
> If 'Quarantine Whole Message' is set to 'yes', the original message is
> quarantined in a file called 'message' in the same directory as the
> quarantined attachments.  But there seems to be no attempt (in MS 4.23-11)
> to avoid a name collision between these, so if an attachment is called
> 'message', this overwrites the quarantined original message.

?   What MTA are you using?

I don't see any 'message' files - just the df/qf pairs corresponding to
sendmail's normal system, plus the attachments.

Maybe this is different if you're not running sendmail?

Just as a check, I just sent myself two different viruses in one email, but
both with the filename "eicar.com".   One got saved in the quarantine
directory as "eicar.com", the other as "eicar-1.com".   Seems pretty
intelligent to me.

Antony.

--

In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac